I promised this recipe too long ago. My mom gave me case of 24 canned black beans for who knows why and I was running out of things to make so I decided to make some black bean burgers. I ate it with ciabatta bread for the first 3 days then crumbled the rest and ate it with salad for the week.
A little song my little sister used to sing in the house growing up: “Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So let’s have beans for every meal.”
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2 can of chick peas
- 1 can corn
- quarter onion
- 1/4 bell pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- cayenne pepper
- 1 lime
- garlic sriracha
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Start by pouring the drained beans and chickpeas into a bowl and mashing them as much as possible. Add drained corn into this mixture afterwards.
- In a blender, blend the onion, bell pepper of your choice, garlic and olive oil. Add to the bean mixture afterwards and mix in.
- Whisk 1 egg in a separate bowl and add half into the bean mixture and mix through
- Squeeze 1 lime into the bean mixture
- Add breadcrumbs, and all seasoning. You do not have to use the seasonings I did. The beans have no flavor especially is you use no salt added like I did. Do not be shy when seasoning. I added quite a bit. Taste as you go.
- Make the patties! I shaped it with my hands. If it felt too soft I added more breadcrumbs. I was able to make about 7 thick burgers
- Add to pan and pop it under the oven for 20-30 minutes. You are looking for the burgers to be brown and stuck together.
- Thats it! I enjoyed it with some ciabatta bread, gouda cheese, caramelized onions, dijon mustard, homemade guac, and this may sound wild but thinly sliced cucumber. It was yum.
- Hope you enjoy 🙂